|Posted on March 23, 2016 at 8:00 PM|
I have a few guilty pleasures and Dancing With The Stars is definitely one of them. There are many things about the show that I love, but one of the main ones is watching the camaraderie develop from week to week. Everyone is so supportive of each other and that makes this show high vibrational which makes it absolutely worth watching! I've thought about writing a blog about the show each season, and now, finally, I'm doing it. That being said, let's get into it. Since there are so many dancers to write about this first time, I will do six today and six tomorrow.
Last night's show, Monday, March 21, 2016
Hello to judge Carrie Ann Inaba, love her enthusiasm and honesty. Wonder how many times she'll fall out of her chair this season. Hello also to judge Bruno Tonioli who is usually upbeat and positive while delivering his innuendo-filled remarks. Welcome back, Len. I hope he will try to be kind. I loved last season because all three judges were positive and uplifting. I will miss Julieann Hough, however, it's no surprise that the adorable talented young lady has a lot of things going right now. I heard that she promises to come back at some point. I'm personally hoping it's as a dancer! Brother Derek too will be missed. He has always been one of my favorites. Currently he's doing Singing In the Rain on Broadway and I'm sure his audiences are in for a real treat! One more thing before I get to the dancers... Hosts Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews...love them. I loved Brooke Burke too, but I can't be mad at Erin for the way Brooke's "letting go" was so poorly handled. A little integrity and class would have gone a long way in that area.
Moving on, first up, "little Tootie" Kim Fields and Sasha Farber did a chacha. Kim is looking fabulous and I guess I can't call her "little Tootie" anymore since she is all grown up. She did a great job and I agree with Carrie Ann, she's a firecracker. Gotta root for the "home team" a little bit since she's in Atlanta. Sasha is not only gorgeous but like all the pro dancers...has an impressive resume'. Read about him here... Their scores, 7 - 6 - 7. Pretty much right on. I have no doubt she'll improve.
2) - UFC fighter Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas with a foxtrot. Oh yes! I was excited to see that Paige has a feminine side too. I have to root for her because she's a fighter, like Shelley in my novel, Dandelions Never Die. Shelley too definitely has a feminine side. Not only was Paige beautiful last night, but she did a great job. Great lines, graceful and shows great potential. She's in my top five to win. Of course, with Mark Ballas, whom I love and who I think has some of the most innovative and artistic choreography, she is in good hands. You may notice that I will focus on the pro dancers quite a bit and with good reason. They are all so very impressive and have worked hard to get to be as awesome as they are. I loooovvveee the pro's. Read about Mark here.... Their scores 7 - 7 - 7.
3) - Big time QB Doug Flutie and Karina Smirnoff also did a foxtrot...sort of. Well, he wasn't the worse. They danced to Sweet Caroline in honor of Boston/NE. Loved hearing the very human side of Doug, stating that throughout his life, things didn't come easy and he always had to prove himself. He stumbled a bit on the dance, but hey...Karina's dress was smokin'!!! No, really, it was beautiful! Read about Karina here.... She's pretty awesome! Their scores 5 - 5 - 5. Hopefully he will loosen up and not be the first to go home.
4) - Full House middle sister Jodi Sweetin and Keo Motsepe performed a tango. I love Jodi and I LOVE Keo so this should be a great team! They did a great job and I only expect them to get better. I just wanted to hug Jodi when she talked about her insecurities as an adult and wandering what people will think about her. Hey, Jodi, don't you worry about that. You are loved. She had good lines and did an impressive job. I'm really hoping she and Keo will make it to the top five. Keo, from the moment I saw him like, three seasons ago I think, I thought, wow, this guy can dance. His flair reminded me of Derek Hough and I am glad he won't be one of the first to go this season. I'm rooting for these two. I hope Jodi doesn't worry about the "expression on her face." I got it..she was trying to look fierce for the tango. Read about Keo here.... Their scores 7 - 6 - 7.
5) - Journalist Geraldo Rivera and Edyta Sliwinska with an attempt at a chacha. Well, Geraldo is 72, so...good for you. Edyta, and welcome back to this gorgeous young lady!... did what she could. Mostly this is going to be a dance around him type deal, but maybe he can loosen up and do a little better before he has to leave. I have faith in him. Read about Edyta here... (At this link it actually said her bio was coming soon..so I hope it is there by the time you click on it.) Their scores 5 - 4 - 4 were the lowest of the night, but I doubt they expected any more. If Geraldo goes home soon, I hope Edyta will at least be featured in many of the pro dances.
BTW, the pro cast who aren't paired up and perform all the other numbers...they are rockin' too. I don't know all their names yet this season, but that Jenna.... that girl is awesome!
6) - Marla Maples and Tony Dovolani performed a quickstep, a beautiful quickstep I must say. She was like an angel floating over the floor. I was pleasantly surprised. She is, of course, known as the ex- Donald, but she has a lot more going for her. One of the most interesting to me is her "single "House of Love," off her album The Endless, features Deepak Chopra and LogiQ Pryce, and won the Hollywood Music in MediaAward (HMMA) for best song in the Ambient/New Age category." (From her Dancing With The Stars Bio on ABC.go.com) Fifty-something Marla is a beautiful lady. She had a few missteps in her dance, but her smile and happiness overcame any little mistake she made. I hope she sticks around a long time. Tony is amazing, and so kind, and such a gentleman. Love him. Read about Tony here..... Their scores 7 - 7 - 7.
|Pictured Witney Carson and Keo Motsepe|
So, let's get on with this delicious night! That brings us to the 7th dance....Wanya Morris!
7) - Wanya Morris and partner Lindsay Arnold performed a cha cha. Wanya, representing his peeps from Boys II Men said he was looking forward to having a great time, losing some weight and meeting some great people. Well, I have a feeling he is going to do much more than that. He did a great job. I knew he could move, but I didn't expect him to be so smooth. Bruno called him delicious. He is blessed with a delicious partner, Lindsay Arnold, who is one of my fav dancers, of course, she trained with the Ballas' so, yeah, she's good. Read about Lindsay here.... They received a great score and I think he may end up in my top five. Their scores 8 - 7 - 8.
- Next up, the lovely Ginger Zee and the beautiful Val Chmerkocskiy (yes, I can call a man beautiful...I call Chris Hemsworth that all the time, lol.) Ginger, the GMA meteorologist, was adorable trying to 'pump' there in the dance studio in front of Val. He didn't know what to think. Hat's off to Ginger for having just had a baby three months ago and going for it in front of the world. She was beautiful and vivacious and she pushed hard. Maybe they call her "Ginger" for a reason. They danced a jive, a hard dance, especially when you're breastfeeding. Ginger and Val are going to be great together. Read all about Val here.... Len said Ginger was sunshine, and I agree. They also received high scores 8 - 7 - 8.
9) - Ninth to perform were actress Mischa Barton and Artem Chigvintsev. Mischa seemed a little stiff and a little lost during her tango. My heart went out to her. She is so pretty and so sweet and she looked so sad after Len's comments. I was happy that Erin Andrews had some comforting words for her in the interview. Mischa has never danced before, but I'm thinking she is going to improve greatly with Artem as her partner. He is kind and seems to be able to sense her feelings. He has quite the resume and was a finalist in So You Think You Can Dance in 2014. Read about him here.... Their scores were not the best, but they were also not the worst. 5 - 5 - 6.
10) - Nyle DiMarco and Peta Murgatroyd. Their cha cha was aawwweesssooommmeee! Nyle is totally deaf. He got recognition as a winner of America's Next Top Model and is an actor and spokesperson. He did a great job, stayed right on the beat. Great job to the lovely Peta too, who is going the extra mile in working with Nyle, teaching him to dance and her learning sign language so that she can communicate with him. Learn more about Peta here.... They have an uphill battle and they were beautiful to watch. Deafness aside, I think Nyle is going to be a contender for sure. Their scores 8 - 7 - 8.
11) - Pittsburgh Steelers' own MVP Antonio Brown dancing with one of my very 'favoritest' pro dancers, Sharna Burgess. I knew Antonio would be able to move, and I wasn't wrong. He does need to work on his toes turning in and keeping his frame up. His feet though are fast and he came out like a beast. They performed a quickstep, one of the most difficult dances right out of the gate. Let's talk about Sharna. Every time I see her I think, how can a woman be so very beautiful. And the dress... I mean, wow! I don't mean to minimize her by speaking of her appearance... she is an amazing dancer and her choreography is top notch! Really looking forward to what she has planned for Antonio. Read about Sharna here.... Their scores 8 - 6 - 7.
12) - Last but definitely not least, Von Miller, Broncos linebacker and Super Bowl 50 MVP partnered up with gorgeous Witney Carson. Von's attitude was awesome, humble and hardworking, and Witney was called a Barbie Drill Sergeant. Love that! Witney is tough and a ball of energy. Read more about her here.... Von is big and a little cumbersome, but he can move. Eventually one of the judges will address his big hands and how he can be more graceful with them. A foxtrot is a hard one when the partners are so physically different, one giant, the other tiny. Their high score surprised me, but hey, we'll take it! 8 - 6 - 7.
So, Carrie Ann called the night, "All Kinds of Good." And I agree. I'm excited to see how the season progresses.
I've been trying to settle on a top five, but I'm having a little trouble. I think the world would pick Wanya, Antonio, Nyle and Ginger for sure...and maybe Von Miller though I think his score was a little inflated. I'm saying that Jodi Sweetin and Paige VanZant maybe a little underestimated. I think Paige's numbers were lower because she was near the front of the lineup and they were trying to keep them low and Jodi can dance, she was just nervous. I expect these two ladies to improve greatly and surprise some people. With partners like Mark Ballas and Keo, I pick them.
So, my top five, Paige and Mark, Wanya and Lindsay, Antonio and Sharna, Nyle and Peta, and Jodie and Keo. . . followed up closely with Ginger and Val.
Either way, I love them all. Who do you pick?
Categories: Dancing With the Stars